Firearms Application & Registration System Process
Applicants for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit
ALL APPLICATIONS ARE SUBMITTED ON-LINE ONLY
Firearms purchases are governed by New Jersey State Law under Chapter 58 of the 2C Criminal Justice Code. To purchase any type of firearm in New Jersey, a person must possess a Firearms Identification Card (FID card). To specifically purchase a handgun, a person must also possess a Permit to Purchase a Handgun (PPH). Permits are valid for 180 days. Only one handgun may be purchased every thirty (30) days unless an exemption is granted. As of 02/18/2019 applications for the following firearms related matters will be done on-line through the New Jersey State Police website. This New Jersey State Police website is called the Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS).
Activation and Implementation of E-Pistol Purchase Permits and E-Multi Handgun Exemptions (MHE), ending use of Paper Pistol Permits and MHEs. This will mark the end of the PAPER PISTOL PURCHASE PERMIT and PAPER MULTI-HANDGUN EXEMPTION FORM Firearm applicants wishing to purchase pistol permits WILL HAVE TO APPLY IN FARS. The paper application will no longer be able to be used for pistol permits.
Effective 04/01/2021: Activation and Implementation of E-Firearms Identification Cards (E-FID), ending use of paper Firearms Identification Cards (FID). Previously issued paper FID cards will not expire and will still be considered valid.
- Step 1: Visit the FARS website at https:/www.njportal.com/njsp/FARS and follow the instructions to complete the application. Franklin Borough residents only will need to enter the following ORI # (NJ0190600) to complete the application. You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer.
- All first-time applicants for a Firearms ID Card MUST be fingerprinted. The fingerprint process will be completed by Idento (MorphoTrust). The required form needed to get fingerprinted is available after completing your application online at https:/www.njportal.com/njsp/FARS.
- If you have already been issued a Firearms ID Card in New Jersey, you will need to enter your SBI# which is found on the front of your firearms ID card.
- Any documents that are required for the processing of your application should be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Step 2: If you are applying for a Handgun Purchase Permit, there is no limit on the quantity of permits you may apply for; however, you may only purchase one handgun every 30 days, unless you qualify for an exemption, under 2C:58-3. Applications for multiple handgun purchases are to be submitted to the NJSP Firearms unit through FARS at the time you apply for your Handgun Permits.
- Step 3: Your application be processed until you have paid for the initial Firearms Identification card (FID)/Permit to Purchase a Handgun(s). Non-refundable payment is required to be made prior to the start of the background investigation as per NJAC 13:54-1.4.
The fees associated with the Initial Firearms Identification Card/Permit to Purchase a Handgun, as well as any fees for fingerprinting/SBI212A checks, are set by the State of New Jersey.
b. Payment must be made as follows:
- via MuniciPAY after completing your online application (Recommended). Service charges apply.
- In person at the police station. Credit card, personal check, or money order are accepted.
- Cash will not be accepted.
c. Improperly prepared applications may delay the processing of your application. All fees are NON-REFUNDABLE and NON-TRANSFERABLE. You may be contacted by the Franklin Borough Police Department if there is a question or concern with your application which requires more information. Please ensure you provide the best phone number and/or e-mail to reach you to help expedite this process.
4. Step 4: Once your application has been approved, your electronic Firearms ID card (E-FID) will immediately be available and you will receive a confirmation email with a link to access the card. You will have the ability to print, save, and/or screenshot your E-FID card. Licensed firearms dealers and shooting ranges will be able to accept the previous FID card or the new E-FID card to include screenshots.
* The State Police will send an email stating your background check has been completed. This email only confirms that your fingerprints have been checked. It is not a confirmation that your application/background check has been completed by the Franklin Borough Police Department.
*If you have not resided in New Jersey for the last 10 years, you MUST complete an additional Mental Health form to be dropped off at the Franklin Borough Police Department during records hours (M-F; 8:00am – 3:00pm). The form can be located here https://www.njsp.org/firearms/forms.shtml.
*You will receive automatic email updates throughout this new process.
*Please advise your references that the Firearms Application and Registration System will email questions to your references that must be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Please advised them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background investigation.
*The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have the best phone number and email address for yourself and your references.
*Your Social Security Number is REQUIRED on the online application.
*The falsification of information on any of the applications for firearms permits is a violation of N.J.S. 2C:39-10c and is crime of the third degree. Any falsification may result in criminal charges against you.
If you have any further questions, please visit the NJ State Police Firearms website at: https://www.njsp.org/firearms/